I have a new obsession with alcohol ink.
Today, I just wanted to share a quick and easy alcohol ink DIY project. It’s sooo simple! All you need is a glazed ceramic or porcelain mug, paintbrush, alcohol inks, a straw (optional), 99% isopropyl alcohol and an oven. Maybe gloves, too. This can get messy.
- I bought a white ceramic mug for $2.99 at HomeGoods.
- I used a paintbrush to paint some isopropyl alcohol onto the surface of the mug first
- I then started dropping my colors on, randomly. I used colors from this Lakeshore set and this Nature Walk set of alcohol inks.
- I swirled the mug around here and there to let the colors run *sort of* where I wanted them to. You really just have to give up a bit of control when it comes to alcohol ink!
- I used a straw every once in a while to push some ink around even more by blowing air through the straw onto the wet ink.
- When I was happy with the results, and after I was sure all the ink was dry, I put the mug into my oven at 300 degrees for 30 minutes to set the ink. I’ve also read that you can cure your mug (or plate, or bowl?!) with a layer of dishwasher safe Modge Podge, but I haven’t tried that.
Voila! I’m pretty much ready to alcohol-ink anything ceramic at this point. So much fun!